Friday, February 1, 2013

Chatting with Canada's Sweetheart of Sweets - ANNA OLSON!

Anna Olson, Host of Bake on Food Network Canada

At All Things Tea, we do many a thing.  First and foremost, we sell top quality loose leaf tea from around the globe.  We also sell an equally stellar selection of quality spices.  We serve up our own in-house jams, jellies and tea-infused baked goods.  And folks, let's just admit something to ourselves right now: who doesn't like a nice little baked delight along with her cup of tea?  They kind of go hand-in-hand, no?  Well, tea and scones go together like....Anna Olson and SWEETS!  As such, it is my complete pleasure to announce I had the great fortune to have an interview with Canada's Sweetheart of Sweets...Anna Olson herself!

Anna Olson is perhaps best known for her wildy popular shows on Food Network Canada (Sugar, Bake, Kitchen Equipped, Fresh with Anna Olson to name a few).  Her ever-present smile is contagious and her baking knoweldge is extensive.  And well, she makes yummy things.  We like yummy things.  Anna also has a long line of best selling cookbooks.  I recently picked up her book called "Fresh with Anna Olson: Seasonally Inspired Recipes to Share with Family and Friends" (urlm.in/qmny).  It is a well-planned book full or original recipes and gorgeous pictures.  If you'd like to learn more about Anna Olson and the things she's up to, visit:  Food Network Canada

I approached Anna to do a short interview (in regards to baking and incorporating spice) and wasn't sure what to expect; she was so gracious in agreeing to do this and I'm giddy with excitement to share what information she shared.  Without further ado, a peek into Olson's beautiful baking brain!

Q1:  I'm a bit in love with the vanilla bean....and all things vanilla.  In your opinion, how important is it to use pure vanilla in recipes, and by doing so, what does it add to the dish? 

Anna:   I find that vanilla is very important in so many recipes - sometimes it's the standout aroma & flavours (as in NY cheesecake or Creme Brûlée) but also "pushes" other flavours forward - for example chocolate chip cookies without vanilla would taste flat and bland.  I find good quality, pure vanilla extract is worth the expense.  The fragrance is balanced (I find artificial can overwhelm) and the flavour clean and not overpowering.  

Q2:  Baking is an art; I believe that.  It also involves quite a lot of precision.  If someone was just venturing into baking, what advice what you give him/her?  

AnnaYour use of the terms 'art' and 'precision' defines a number of activities in addition to baking, such as painting, sewing, dance, writing, even golf, that all share the same attributes in terms of attaining expertise: patience and practice. Respect for technique is the essence to initial success, and practice through repetition is how you improve, and that is where patience is required.  

Q3:  At my shop, I endeavor to carry whole, quality spices (ie whole nutmeg over ground, whole cardamom pods over ground, etc).   Can you talk a bit about the importance of using quality spices in a recipe?  

Anna: Freshness is assured when using whole spices freshly ground (the aroma and flavour difference between pre-ground black pepper and freshly ground is the simplest and most obvious example) and whole spices have a longer shelf life, where pre-ground spices lose their kick faster. That said, some spices are best pre-ground for consistency, such as cinnamon ( I can't get a good fine grind of cinnamon in my spice mill) 

Q4: What began you on your baking/sweets journey?  

Anna: I started enjoying baking at a very young age, taking inspiration from my grandmother.  I think that, like many youngsters, I found fascination in the 'magic' of baking: you can take a messy goo of eggs, sugar, flour and chocolate, put it in the oven and like magic, it comes out brownies - broccoli is not nearly so exciting to watch cook ;)
(I'd have to agree, Anna!)

Q5:  If you could only have ONE baking tool in your kitchen....what would it be (ooh - a hard question! :)  

Anna:  I would be lost without my offset spatula - I use it to lift delicate cookies, frost cakes, spread batters - it's like an extension of my hand. 
 
 Well, there you have it, folks!  Anna refers to baking as 'magic'...there is no mistake why I call my line of spices "Charmed Spices".  I couldn't agree with her more.  I want to extend my sincerest thanks to Anna for taking time out of her clearly busy schedule to talk about delicious things. With that, I leave you with a link to Anna Olson's very own  Jasmine Tea Pudding 


Anna Olson's Jasmine Tea Pudding
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment