Monday, February 11, 2013

Talking Spices with Food Network Canada's SPICE GODDESS!

Food Network Canada's Spice Goddess, Bal Arneson.

Roughly around two years ago, I had a chance encounter with Bal Arneson (host of 'Spice Goddess' on Food Network Canada).  She would have no reason to remember me, but I certainly remember her.  I was attending the annual Inspiring Women event at Bingeman's in Kitchener (hosted by the Waterloo Region Small Business Centre).  This is a fabulous event held every year for women to experience a day of inspirational keynote speakers.  It never fails to impress me.  Anyway, that year, I was just readying myself to launch my Charmed Spices line at our tea shop (yes, tea and spices go hand in hand - but that's a whole other post).  So, to see the Spice Goddess in the flesh was TOTALLY exciting.  Ms. Arneson had a booth where her books were being featured and she was standing there, so I nervously approached.  We chatted a bit about tea and spices and she was very endearing indeed.  I had already purchased one of her fantastic cookbooks (Every Day Indian) and she was kind enough to sign it.  Yay for me!  I had yet to hear Bal address the audience. 

Feeling a little giddy and awestruck, I made my way back to my table to listen to Bal's talk.  I didn't know what was to come.  Well, let me tell you: she's a pint-sized powerhouse!  Her laughter and smile filled the room; a very enigmatic woman she is.  Bal is an author, an educator (with a Masters in Education, I believe), and of course passionately pursues spices and bringing healthy, easy Indian cuisine to the North American tabletop. But Bal's life wasn't always as a TV/magazine mainstay and bestselling cookbook author.  Born in a small village in the Punjab region of India, Bal spent her childhood years learning how to cook from her elders over the hot coals of a clay pit.  In a time and place where women had little voice, I believe it is food that fed Bal's soul.  Upon coming to Canada, Bal fluorished through sheer determination, intelligence and (I'd say) a fair dose of charm.  When I listened to Bal speak, I could envision this Pheonix, rising above those hot clay pit coals to become what she is today.  Bal is a passionate supporter of women in business, and it is on this premise that she granted me an interview.  I am humbled.  I know how thoroughly busy she is (travel, travel and more travel, not to mention she is a wife and mother herself).  Bal, if you should happen to read this, please know that your story touched me.  I love your show, I LOVE your recipes and, well, your whole story...love it all.    The interview:

1. For me, working with spices/teas makes me feel at home, if that makes any sense. How did your path bring you to where you are now?

Bal:  Spices not only bring comfort to me, they remind me of my childhood where I would watch my mother for hours cooking on the BBQ pit creating amazing recipes. My passion and love for spices brought me where I am today. 
 
2. If someone is just starting out on her spice journey, what 5 spices would you recommend she start with, and why?
 
Bal: I would say start with cumin (it gives nice warm, earthy flavours), coriander (has a citrus touch), cardamom (with floral flavour), mustard seeds (for pungent aroma) and cloves (for that rich, sharp bite)
 
3. A lot of people seem intimidated to use a new spice. What is your advice to help people get past that?
 
Bal: I tell people to follow their own palate and introduce a spice that complements it so that there is no surprise or shock to the system. The beauty of spices is that they tap into all kinds of palates. 
 
4. Indian cuisine, of course, has perhaps (in my opinion) some of the most incredible combinations of spices I can imagine. Are there other countries/cultures that you favour for their spice blends? If so, which and why?
 
Bal:  I use spices from around the world as they all work together beautifully. 
 
5. On a practical note, I try to educate people every day about the importance of proper storage for spices, as well as the importance of buying spice from a reputable source. Can you explain why/how these factors are SO important to each and every recipe one prepares?
 
Bal: As soon as the spices are turned into a powder form, they begin to lose their flavour. So keeping them in a tight lidded jar in a dark place will keep the flavours alive for a longer period.
 
6. Extra question - if you don't mind! What is YOUR favourite spice, Bal, and why?

Bal: Thats a tough one. I love them all!
 
Incidentally, Bal (who resides in BC, Canada) was just voted as one of BC's Ten Most Beautiful People.  A title most deserving - a beautiful person, both inside and out...and she brings us some wickedly good Indian dishes.  Drool!  Thanks for tuning in - I leave you with a tasty recipe courtesy of the Spice Goddess:  Punjabi Quesadillas.  Enjoy and thanks for reading!
 
Punjabi Quesadillas, a Spice Goddess original recipes
 








2 comments:

  1. Great interview guys! Bal is just as crazy about spice as I am... One thing I would have noted on question #5 is: whenever possible, buy your spices whole and freshly grind them à la minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, Pete! I have both a mortar/pestle and spice grinder at home to do just that. Amazing what a difference it makes...and whole spices keep fresher much longer. Mmmm. Thanks for the note.

    ReplyDelete