Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Laspang Souchong Tea: I'm Wholeheartedly Addicted!


Upon first whiff of my beloved Lapsang (yes, we're on a first name basis), your olfactory receptors will spin into overdrive. It's a given. What IS that smell? Campfire?! Smoke?! Oh, yes, yes and YES! And how I love it!

Lapsang Souchong (literally meaning 'small plant from Lapu Mountain') is a black tea that originally hailed from the Fujian province of China. Figures - so many great teas are from here. Anyway, what makes this tea SO stellar is that the leaves are smoke-dried over pinewood fires. The result? A deep, rich, smoky tea unlike anything else on this planet. And WOW. While the taste is most certainly bold, Lapsang proper still has a divine balance between the smokiness and tea flavour. My Lapsang has a loyal following, and yet (to my utter dismay) there are 'haters' out there. I get it. It's definitely an acquired taste (often, it is said, cigar and scotch lovers like this tea). Now, THAT said, if you don't want to drink it, fine. But I promise you one thing: I'll get you eating it. Pause. Wait for it... YES! I SAID EATING IT! And here's where it gets fun...

So, today, the first day of spring in Southwestern Ontario finds me [happily] sweating. The sun is beating down, my chives are rearing their lovely green heads and BBQs are being lit up at a frenetic pace. I love to cook and my mind drifts to barbecue (not that it takes much to do that). Here's the thing: Lapsang is an INCREDIBLE ingredient with which to cook. Using tea in a culinary manner is so fun. The inherent smokiness and depth of Lapsang Souchong is a natural companion to the typically robust fare cooked up on a barbie. I will attach an easy recipe at the bottom here for you folks to try out for yourselves. I'll having you singing Laspang praises in NO time! A few things I've created using Lapsang Souchong include:

  • Lapsang Caramels with Smoked Sea Salt (HEAVENLYYYYYY)
  • Smoky Lapsang & Cheddar Scones (a trade secret, but they are available at the shop from time to time) - WOW....cheese and Lapsang should get married!
  • Popcorn - yup, I've doused my popcorn with Lapsang and sea salt (and cheese)
  • I've infused soups (like a nice summer gazpacho or a tomato cream soup) - totally different taste
  • Lapsang-Infused Pulled Pork....siiiiigh.....doesn't get dreamier than that

Please don't tell me I'm the only one drooling here?! As promised, I'm giving you a super easy recipe to try your hand at cooking with Lapsang. All you need is a mortar/pestle (or a coffee bean grinder) and you're off to the races. For those who love salmon fillets cooked atop cedar planks, you'll LOVE this recipe:

All Things Tea Easy Lapsang Salmon (serves 4)

This can be prepared in the oven or on the BBQ.

Ingredients

2 Tbsp. All Things Tea Lapsang Souchong Superior

1 tsp. Charmed Spices Natural Pacific Sea Salt

Pinch of sugar

Method

Pulverize all ingredients in a mortar & pestle or in a coffee bean grinder. Rub atop salmon fillets and broil in oven or BBQ. YUM!

May these beginning days of spring fill you with Laspang dreams. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment