Monday, March 26, 2012

Oolong "Slimming" Tea: Fact or Fiction?


Once upon a time there lived an old tea farmer. Every day, he'd go to his fields to pick tea where he'd place his leaves to dry. One day, the farmer was going about his usual routine when he got frightened by the appearance of a black snake - he ran away, leaving his leaves in the sun. Several days later, the tea farmer cautiously returned and found that the leaves had been oxidized by the sun and gave a delightful brew.

Oolong (meaning "black dragon" or "black snake") is the source of many legends. It is more likely that the name came about due to the fact that as the tea steeps and the leaves unfold, they resemble the long, winding body of a dragon. Oolong is the subject of much discussion, but I know one thing for SURE - it's a treasure to behold.

Native to the Fujian province of China, oolong tea is partially oxidized and therefore falls somewhere between a green and a black tea. Superior oolongs are also produced in Taiwan (formerly known as Formosa) - it is often referred to as the 'champagne of teas'.
Originally produced in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), the tea has been a favourite with tea lovers for centuries due to its floral aroma and long lasting aftertaste. The oolongs I like best have a really nice orchid undernote and are of high enough quality that I may get multiple steeps (bonus!).

Then there's milk oolong. Sigh. Milk oolong. I don't like to share my milk oolong...it's THAT good. You know how ice wine is produced...how it needs very specific weather conditions? Well, milk oolong follows suit. It can only be produced at a specific time of year when the temperature shifts in juuuuust the right way...it is a rare occurrence. The result is an otherwordly experience: sweet, creamy, delicate...pure bliss. Because of its rarity, milk oolong is (or SHOULD be) expensive. It's not a hoax, folks....it really is so dependent on the temperature shift that some years, there's no yield. This drives price up. If you are getting what seems to be a 'deal' on milk oolong, all I can say is BUYER BEWARE.

While I'm on this 'buyer beware' subject, I should mention something the REALLY bugs me about some purveyors of tea. If you see oolong being touted as weight loss tea, or 'slimming' tea and along with it comes a crazy price tag...again I say, BUYER BEWARE. People come in ALL the time saying they've heard about the miracle benefits of "WU YI TEA" (which, by the way, is the EXACT same thing as OOLONG - they are synonymous). Please, don't buy into this propaganda. Let me separate fact from fiction so that you may make an informed choice:

1. WuYi tea is the SAME as oolong (don't let people tell you otherwise) - Oolong is grown in the WUYI mountains - SAME THING. Don't pay a higher price tag on "WUYI" tea, ok?

2. It is unfair to sell oolong tea under the guise of "SLIMMING" tea. Here's the skinny on oolong: yes, it boosts metabolism and yes, it can help to block fat absorption somewhat...HOWEVER....you would need to drink a BOATLOAD of it to make a true difference. Seriously.

3. Make oolong a part of your daily HEALTHY living habits and it will support you in your healthy lifestyle - this much is true. But don't eat a large pizza alongside a cuppa oolong and expect miracles. It is not my intent to offend anyone, it IS my intent to inform you so that you are not taken advantage of.

4. Oolong is indeed a healthful drink: it is antioxidant rich, it can help lower cholesterol and risk of stroke, and these are just a few of the benefits.

5. Quality oolongs are always from China and Taiwan. And they're divine. 'Nuf said.

Phew. Ok, I went a little crazy there for a minute, but it seems almost every day someone comes in to buy oolong for weight loss - and I don't want people to feel disappointed. What people should be drinking oolong for is its delicate nuances and lovely aroma. Hmmm....off I go to dig up some of my coveted milk oolong (no one is home and therefore no one can see where I hide my stash - seriously, I really do hide it). I shall raise a cup to this old tea farmer AND that black snake that scared him off - without him, there may be no oolong! See, I knew snakes had a purpose. ;) Until next time....

1 comment:

  1. The milk oolong was amazing! (and yes you are right. My big bum didn't dissappear last night) So glad you posted about it.

    ReplyDelete