Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Not All Salts Are Created Equally


Salt has a bad rap. Sure, you eat tons of it and you encourage disease...but that's kind of the deal with most things, right? Moderation and all that. I'm here to stand up for salt (I always did like to cheer for the underdog). Probably the world's most utilized spice, salt's ability to preserve literally was a foundation of civilization. Because we were able to preserve foods with salt, humans were able to travel much further distances. Salt used to be hard to come by and was a very valuable trade commodity- people were even paid in salt. Today, we know it is very accessible.

For a very long time, many people were iodine deficient. This caused mental disabilities, as well as thyroid problems. To prevent such issues, iodone-containing salts were mixed with table salts resulting in today's basic iodized table salt (thus eradicating a lot of unnecessary disease). I don't know...I'm pretty sure that we get enough iodine in our diets now with access to such globally diverse ingredients...but maybe I am being a little ignorant - maybe some part of the world simply do not.

There are basically two sources of salt: the sea or rock (which occurs in beds of sedimentary evaporite minerals that result from the drying up of lakes and seas). Rock salts are found all over the world, and in fact, Salzburg (Austria) was named the "city of salt" for its extensive mines.

I guess I'm something of a salt snob. I'm allowed though - my shelves are lined with the most interesting and fabulous sea salts and finishing salts a person could find....so my curiousity was naturally piqued. My quest for knowledge of all things salt have me convinced of one thing: sea salts are the way to go. When your good ol' doc says to shy away from salt, what he likely doesn't mention is that there is a HUGE difference between your highly refined table salt and natural sea salt:

Sea Salt (in moderation):
  • Is naturally sun dried (not processed like table salt) - this maintains mineral content
  • Has a much stronger flavour than table salt - you need to use MUCH less
  • Provides sodium (necessary for life!)
  • Helps with proper functioning of adrenals and other biological processes
  • Helps with muscle contraction and expansion
  • Contains chloride (helps produce acid to digest protein)
  • Even babies are in special need of salt - helps brain development

At home, we use a vast variety of sea salts...it all depends on what we're using it for. In my salt grinder, you'll most often find a Himalayan Pink Sea Salt. This salt is (as its name suggests) a beautiful hue of pink. Himalayan salt is harvested from the heart of the Himalayan mountains. It has formed over the last 250 million years (and I thought I was old). The result? An amazingly pure salt untouched by pollutants and toxins. Flavour-wise, it adds a much richer flavour to your food. For finishing soups or even on a broiled salmon fillet, I am addicted to Yakima Sea Salt which has been smoked in applewood. Boy, with BBQ season approaching, I can only imagine this deeply rich and smoky salt on a good steak. Droolfest 2012! Oh salt, salt, salt! Oh - also - if you have the chance to try Sel Gris Sea Salt - do so by all means! Known for its beautiful grey colour, high mineral content and low sodium content, sel gris is a superstar. It his a high moisture content and really, is one of the healthiest of all sea salts. If you want to venture into the world of salt like I have, there are a few necessities: a salt cellar (keep your salts at your table with a small spoon) - you can control the amount you use and it's nice to have a variety available at the supper table. A salt grinder is my new best friend - I just find using a coarse grain of salt delivers more flavour (and I don't need to use a lot). Phew. My fingers are tired. I could seriously go on and on about salt. This is the tip of the salt mine, so to speak. So, as we come into warmer months, I encourage you to explore the vast world of sea salts. You won't be sorry. Top that summer gazpacho with a smoked sea salt (ooh, I can taste that now). Top your vichysoisse with a black Hiwa Kai Sea Salt for visual impact. Grind Himalayan pink over an avocado and grapefruit salad. Ok, ok....enough...I know! The point is - experiment...and have a ton of fun!

2 comments:

  1. I like to add various herbs to my sea salts in my grinders so that you add more flavor and use less salt altogether, but still have marvelous taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic idea - never occurred to me. Hmm...Chef Cober - you should do a guest post on here...maybe something about your favourite spice or something! You have lots of good knowledge to share! :)

      Delete